After a 35-year career with the RCMP, Ron retired as a Staff Sergeant in 2015 . His many years as a homicide investigator and as a Crisis Negotiator resulted in Ron being diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in 2004 and Major Depressive Disorder in 2009.
Since then, Ron has gone on to become a public speaker on:
- Stress Management in Policing
- Self-Care & Prevention of Operational Stress Injuries
- Workplace Wellness
His police audiences have included:
- the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police (CACP)
- the Canadian Association of Police Governance (CAPG)
- the Canadian Police College (CPC)
- numerous police conferences across the USA and Canada
Ron is the former Vice-Chair of the Lieutenant Governor’s Circle on Mental Health and Addictions (Alberta) and is a member of the following:
- Speakers Bureaus for the United Way and the Canadian Mental Health Association
- Valuing Mental Health Stakeholder Committee
- Community Mental Health Action Plan Committee
- Peer Advisor for the Mood Disorder Society of Canada
Ron is the Principle of EQUUS Management Solutions Inc., a consulting firm dedicated to corporate and government workplace management performance, with a particular focus towards employee mental health.
Ron is often called upon as a public advocate speaker for corporate and government workplace mental health, and peer support for first responders across Canada.